Thursday, September 11, 2008

a vacation from the norm

Going in to 6x1 I knew we were going to be learning about scratching and painting on film, but other than that, I didn’t really know much past that. I had no idea just how hands on things would be every single class. When I sit back and think about everything we’ve done with film, it’s a little daunting to think about how much I still don’t know about experimental film. We’ve already learned about painting, scratching and drawing on film. Then there are magazine transfers, stop animation, rayograms and bleaching and we’re only a few weeks into the semester.

         I’m completely digging getting into things and using my own two hands to make a film. I think it’s almost more rewarding in a sense than making any other kind of film because of how personal the process is. Normally I would spend all kinds of time and money storyboarding, finding locations for shoots, and looking for actors and so on and so forth. Then, there’s the time shooting, usually with a lot of hoping and praying that I’ve got all the coverage I need and that it looks as good as I envisioned it. Everything is done with a machine as well. I’m using all different kinds of equipment and computer programs to make my film, but what we’ve been doing is so different from that. Taking a strip of film and painting on it is something I can do with my own two hands. The whole experience is very organic and raw. I can do anything I want with it and I only need filmstrip, paint and me. I think I can compare it best to drawing a simple picture in my sketchbook and creating a picture in Photoshop. Sure, I can do amazing things on the computer, but compare it to a hand-drawn portrait. Anything I do with a click of my mouse is never ever going to have the look I can achieve with a pencil and piece of paper. The texture, the details, the imperfections, they’re what makes that not-so-perfect drawing so valuable. It’s one of a kind, and I think I’ll always have a greater appreciation for that.

         Another process I really enjoy is the magazine transfer. It’s amazing to see the amount of material available in a single magazine or newspaper. I could make a feature length film with one issue of national geographic. The best part is, everything looks good with them. I feel like no matter what kind of texture the fibers of the paper have or colors or prints or whatever it’s really cool and exciting to see it up on screen. It’s like using found footage. You take this mainstream, bland product and recycle it into something unique and innovative. I also love that I can do this at home. My bedroom might look like a daycare on crack afterwards, but what fun is it if you can’t get down and dirty a little? Anyways, I’m loving this class and I can’t wait to test my hand at this whole animation business coming up.

No comments: