Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Moving Picture Giving and Taking Book

I found the reading by Brakhage to be extremely informative. There was such a large amount of helpful facts, including step-by-step instructions for even the most basic of beginners. I really like how he assumes that the reader has no special tools for filmmaking. That way, I could be at home, looking at this article and should I so happen to be in the mood for making a film, I could do it. He discusses how you really only need to pick up a strip of film. Other than that, an entire movie can be made with markers and a sharp edge of some sort. As long as you have time, dedication, and precision, the options are limitless.

         What is most interesting about the article is that everything is up the readers’ choice. There are several points when Brakhage pauses to say something to the means of “In case you feel inspired, good luck and I hope you do something awesome with you’re film. See ya later.” Not only that, but as I was reading, I felt like I had a lot of room to work with. If I were to follow Brakhage’s instructions, that doesn’t inhibit my ability to work with clear or black leader film, paint or magazine transfer, etc. In addition, I love that he also offers up different experiments to try, such as making crystal explosions and exposing film with tiny objects and a flashlight in a dark room.

         This article, however, was a tough one to get through. While filled with useful information, the onslaught of technical terms and wordiness used by Brakhage was a little much. The way that he writes sounds almost as if he’s trying to sound “academic” or “intelligent” by using writing reminiscent (to me at least) of Old English. Obviously, Stan Brakhage knows what he’s talking about, and I fully respect his writing, but I wish he could have been a less convoluted in his language. Writing style aside, I know this is one article I will keep long after the end of this class. It’s an amazing reference for making short experimental films and has an array of great ideas to try for myself. 

No comments: